Saturday, September 17, 2005

Corpse Bride!!

Well, I went to go see Corpse Bride yesterday. Our little group outing turned into 10 people lol, but it was still really fun. It was playing at 3rd Street, so Dowis, Andrew and I got there around 8:00, Mike, Traci, Kristina and Derek got there around 9:00, Jess got there around 9:15, and Jeremy, Fonzie, and Fonzie's gf got there around 9:30. It was a blast hanging out with everyone, and we must have just "loitered" inside and outside the theater just talking and having fun for over and hour after the movie. It was a blast. Until the cops kicked us out lol. We ate at Johnny Rockets, and I have to admit it was pretty nasty. They were too busy and my burger was as dry as could be, but I was starving so whatever. As for the movie:

First of all, one of my favorite movies is Nightmare Before Christmas, I love Tim Burton's stuff, and Ray Harryhausen is one of my idols. With that said, I had very very high hopes for this movie. So, what did I think? I was actually dissappointed. Now don't get me wrong, visually and technically, the movie is jaw droppingly amazing. It is the best stop motion animation ever seen on film. The character designs are incredible, the animation is AMAZING and the camera movements are wicked. Like I said, visually and technically unmatched. But story wise? It was kinda boring. No character development. The main character Victor was very boring, and I didn't like him much. Danny Elfman did the music, wrote the songs, and performed one of them. And yet, the songs were lacking. The thing that was amazing about Nightmare was how the songs would develop the story, let you gain insight to the characters mind, and set the mood. Music was a huge part of Nightmare, and there are very few scenes where there is none. 80f the music has music in it, and it was done perfectly. In Corpse Bride, there is not very much music, yet it's a musical. The songs didn't develop the plot, they just riiterated what you already knew. They were very easily forgettable. There was no "Town theme" or "Dead theme" or "Victor theme" either. The movie just kinda went along for the ride, and seemed very very short, yet it's exactly the same length as Nightmare.

So yeah, I was dissapointed. This just proves that you can have an amazing looking movie with the best people in the business working on it, but if the story isn't there, it just ruins it. I've been looking forward to seeing this movie since it was just a rumor. I was blown away at the props at comic-con, and talking to one of the animators there (Peter Dodd) was just awesome. Seeing the technology of the puppets was great. I coudln't have been more excited to see it, but after seeing it, I felt Corpse Bride was just okay. If you want to get your mind blown by visuals and the pure insanity of how good it looks, by all means, please go see it. There really is nothing else like it. If you're looking for another Nightmare Before Christmas, with unforgettable music, great character development, and an awesome story arc, you'll be let down.

Oh well. At least the company was good!

Oh, and tomorrow, Fletcher and I are going to Disneyland!!

No comments: